EVERY SUNDAY -- Sunday School at 9:15AM & Worship at 10:15AM

5940 S Madison Ave, Anderson, Indiana 46013

(765) 643-7800

  Whetstone Christian Church

Welcome! - Family of believers, Find acceptance, belonging, faith, home

  Whetstone Christian Church

Welcome! - Family of believers, Find acceptance, belonging, faith, home


image11
image12

About Us:

image13

History of Whetstone Church

  

About Whetstone

Building on the past... Looking to the future. 

Through the years
image14

Generate excitement

What's something exciting your business offers? Say it here.

image15

Close the deal

Give customers a reason to do business with you.

Our History

image16

History of Whetstone Church

  

Just let your minds wander with me back in the 1860’s and think there was no church building near this community. The people felt the great need of a place for worship so they met in the Langley school house then located about one-fourth mile east of the present Roosevelt building. They did not have a regular minister. They met to worship together and who ever wished to lead them did so. Later John Sims acted as their leader. He called on each one personally to testify and the spirit of the Lord surely was present for each one received much benefit and the attendance grew beyond capacity of the building. 

On January 14, 1867, Miss Julia Whetstone, daughter of Jonas Whetstone died. At that time there were not many cemeteries near here. Peter Whetstone, Uncle of Miss Whetstone living on an 80-acre farm offered his brother Jonas a strip of ground for a burial place which was later named the Whetstone Cemetery.

When the worship group at the schoolhouse grew beyond capacity it was with the consent of Mr. whetstone to locate a new church building in the corner of the cemetery.

Charles Fits and Thomas Orr offered to build the church building. Each person interested furnished material from their own timber. Some furnished the hewed logs and others took logs to the sawmill and had them sawed and planed. Some of those who furnished materials were Peter Whetstone, Noah Shock, Mrs. Hanna McCarty, Jonas Whetstone, Eliah Poffenbarger and many others. After the building was completed each one interested brought that material they had and met at the church and made some crude benches. Later some benches were purchased from an abandoned church in North Anderson.

The church was nondenominational. The doors were open to anyone who wished to attend or preach. The German Baptist and Brethern Congregations used it regularly.

On December 23, 1882, the members of the church met for a business meeting and they discussed reorganizing the body. The following four principles were read and approved. 

1. The Holy Bible as our only rule of faith and practice.

2. The name Christian to exclude all other names.

3. Christian character as life of holiness our only test of Christian fellowship.

4. The right of private interpretation of scripture and liberty of conscience.

This body was known as the Whetstone Organization of Christian Faith. There was no regular minister hired until near 1885. Among the most faithful who preached was James Comer and Rev. Williams who came for a free-will offering.

In the early spring of 1915, the building needed many repairs and a committee was appointed to investigate the needs of the building. At a business meeting on May 31, 1915, it was voted to erect a new bungalow type building without a basement on the same site of the old building. The new church was dedicated December 19, 1915, by Rev. John McCorhill, pastor assisted by Rev. J. D. Foster. a full house enjoyed the day and money was raised in full to clear all indebtness. Later in 1920 by the co-operation of members a basement was made and a furnace installed. In 1922, electricity was extended down Brown Street Road and was put in the church by co-operation of the Ladies Aid Society which had been organized years before and had been a great asset to the church by their assistance in keeping the interior of the church attractive and helping in many other ways.

  1. The young people of the church were very active in the promotion of the Kingdom so they organized their group which was called the Whetstone Christian Endeavor Society. They have been very beneficial to the church and have done splendid work. During the spring of 1932 the society decided to beautify the church surroundings. Shrubbery was planted around the church and memorial corner of evergreens was dedicated Sunday, October 9, 1932 by the respective families to the memory of Lee Keller, Sylvia Stewart, William Hull, Franklin Mikels, Clinton Langley, Sarah Whetstone and Ephram Gale.

  

Through the efforts of Walter Whetstone, Sunday School Superintendent, and Rev. J. Wesley Stewart, pastor, a Brotherhood/Sisterhood Organized December 16, 1925. this organization has grown beyond the capacity of the church building and has spread brotherly and sisterly love through the community which has benefited the church in many ways.

The Sunday School steadily grew and the church building was filled almost to capacity every Sunday so the need of a larger building was felt by the Sunday School and Brotherhood Organization. A committee from the church and brotherhood was appointed to meet with the church officials and investigate some plans for enlarging the church building or build a new one. There was some discussion about enlarging the present building but it was located so near the cemetery line and roads it was suggested to purchase a new site and build a new building. 

Church Building Committee Brotherhood Building Committee

 James Hoppes Roy Jones

 Tom Johns Frank Denliner

 Roy Stottlemyer Edward Smith

 Albert Jordon Carey Sheets

 Ora Wheeldon Earl Faulkenberry

 Elmer Stinson Russell Snydman

On March 20, 1938 the committee presented that a new site be purchased and a new building be erected and the Brotherhood organization pay $5 to the Church’s $2 on the expense of the building. The report was accepted and the committee authorized to proceed with the plans. On April 10 it was voted to purchase a three-acre tract of ground from Mrs. Hattie Harmeson which was located directly across the road to the North from the present site, at $500 per acre.

On July 24, 1938 a breaking of the ground service was held when Rev. G. R. Osborn, pastor, turned over the first spade of earth. Work was started on the basement the following week and the cement for the foundation was poured on Thursday, August 18.

The new building was erected by a lot of donated labor with Melvin Williams of Lapel as head superintendent. Records of labor was kept and allowed as cash on their subscriptions for the finance of the building.

The laying of the cornerstone was held Sunday, October 9, 1938, when a large crowd enjoyed the day.

Some of the pastors of the church include: Walter Coe, Rev. Hinkle, Rev. Newhouse, Rev. Garritson, Bruce Mounsey, J. Wesley Stewart, Delmar Harrold, Howard Warner.

The Official Board includes: Deacon and Deaconesses: James Hoppes, Ben Mikels, Ollie Stohler, Estella Hoppes, Mary Stohler; Trustess: Ben Mikels, Oran Swartz, Earl Brown; Clerk: Marie Swartz; Treasurer: James Hoppes; Financial Secretary: Herbert Stottlemyer; Stewardess: Grace Johnson, Elizabeth Swartz, Lenna Stottlemyer; Pianist: Mary Lockwood; Ushers: Evert Orebaugh, Billy McDuffee, Robert Johnson; Auditors: Elmer Stinson, Ben Orebaugh; Chorister: Evert Orebaugh.


PASTORS OF WHETSTONE CHURCH 

Rev. Bruce Mounsey 1918

Rev. John McCorkhill 1919

Bro. Bert Page 1921

Bro. Featherstone 1922

Rev. J. W. Stewart 1923

Rev. Delmar Harold 1930

Rev. Howard Warner 1932

Rev. J. W. Stewart 1933

Rev. G. R. Osborn 1934

Rev. Virgil Harris 1947

Rev. Noah Grile 1948

Rev. Alvin Thomas 1951

Rev. Albert Byrne 1952

Rev. Wm. B. Howenstine 1960

Rev. Verlin Smith 1967

Rev. Charles Burrey 1983

Rev. Stehphen P. Gettinger 1989

Back to the Top of Page
image17

Generate excitement

What's something exciting your business offers? Say it here.

image18

Close the deal

Give customers a reason to do business with you.

Contact Us

email us or call & leave a message:

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

EVERY SUNDAY -- Sunday School at 9:15AM & Worship at 10:15AM

 None of us can accomplish God's purpose on our own. That is why we are so committed to each other in love within the family of faith. 

Whetstone Christian Church

5940 S Madison Ave. Anderson, IN 46013

(765) 643-7800